List of Epic Family Dinner Ideas: Free Printable
I’ve cooked five million meals in the last month. Or at least it is feels here.
Sure, time at home is a great opportunity to get creative in the kitchen, but my inspiration for healthy dinner ideas was lacks.
So one day I thought:What should I cook for dinner tonight?!” And I found that I wish I had big list of dishes for dinner. One that also had ideas for a slow cooker, vegetarianism, and a pantry.
Did you want it too?
Very good! Because now there is one! Below is a list of shared dinners (or lunch options).
*The list also includes notes for making things healthier. For example, lettuce leaves or sweet potato buns can be used instead of bread, and cauliflower rice is easy to add to many dishes.
Without further ado, check out our extensive list of dinners divided by type of food!
Then print the FREE download at the end and check out Dessert!
200+ List of dishes for dinner
This post contains affiliate links for free for you. See my disclaimer for more information.
Great American food for dinner
Let’s start with American classics!
- Shepherd’s pie (try the cauliflower or sweet potato filling)
- Baked peppers, sausage and potatoes in a frying pan
- Fish (salmon, cod, etc.) and side dishes
- Meatballs with rice or noodles (try whole grain noodles)
- Sloppy Joes (try the sweet potato)
- Hot dogs or sausages (try sweet potato buns)
- Burgers (try the salad tortillas and opt for the turkey burgers for the lighter meat)
- Grilled Chicken Breasts (marinade in Italian dressing, ranch or Dijon mustard)
- Roasted whole chicken or turkey
- Fried or boiled shrimp and side dishes
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
Delicious Mexican Dinners
These ordinary Mexican dinners are anything but ordinary!
- Tacos (use salad wraps, stuffed peppers, or zucchini boats)
- Fajitas (try salad wraps)
- Nachos (try sweet potato chips)
- Enchiladas (try the zucchini enchilada boats)
- Bowls of black beans and rice
Delicious list of Italian dishes for dinner
Italian cuisine is food at its best!
- Spaghetti and meatballs (try pumpkin spaghetti)
- Lasagna rolls (try the zucchini)
- Homemade pizza (load it with vegetables)
- Chicken Parmesan (use whole grain noodles)
- Alfredo chicken fettuccine (try zucchini noodles)
Healthy and hearty soups
Great hearty soups are a must on any great meal list!
- Chicken noodle soup (you can take out the noodles and add cauliflower rice)
- Leek and cauliflower soup
*We have found soups to cook quickly AND extremely fragrant in a pressure cooker!
List of salad and sandwich dishes
Leftover soups, salads and sandwiches also make it SUPER easy. pre-cooked meals the next day.
- Panini (on whole grain bread)
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Grilled cheese sandwiches with basil tomato (use white cheese)
- Meatballs (use whole grain buns)
- French Sauce Sandwiches (whole wheat buns)
- Philadelphia sandwiches (whole grain buns)
Read about amazing salad pairings here: 11 Delicious Green Salad Recipes
Awesome slow cooker dinner ideas
- Chicken salsa (chicken breast with broth, salsa, and taco seasoning is a great Mexican topping!)
- Whole chicken in a slow cooker
- Chicken potato soup (pictured above)
- Teriyaki chicken in a slow cooker
- Creamy chicken in a slow cooker
Find more multicooker ideas here: 12 pot dinners on weekdays
Great Vegetarian/Vegan Dinner Ideas List
- Taco soup/chili without meat
- Spaghetti (use zucchini)
- Asian Fried Rice (try the cauliflower rice like the one in the picture below!)
- Quesadillas (use whole grain tortillas)
- Homemade Meatless Pizza (Try Whole Grain Lavash for a SUPER quick option!)
- Soup (choose from above!) and salad
- Shrimps with zucchini noodles in cashew sauce
- Black bean (or quinoa) burgers
- Risotto (you can use cauliflower)
- Homemade pasta with cheese and vegetables
- Baked or sweet potatoes (no meat)
- Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Family dinner to use what you have
On this dinner list, these ideas are great for cleaning out your freezer, fridge, or pantry. Mix and match using what you have!
- Baked or sweet potatoes
- Pan Roast (add sauce or pesto to spice it up!)
- Pan hash (use potatoes or sweet potatoes)
- Salads – Throw in what’s in the fridge!
- Omelettes and other egg dishes
- Roasting in the oven (add plenty of leftover vegetables to sauté them with protein)
* Do you have leftovers that you don’t know what to do with? Leave a comment below and I’ll help you brainstorm how to use them! 😊
One day a week we crave variety and food that is unlike any other.
- Breakfast for dinner (eggs, french toast, pancakes, sausage, quiche)
- Grilled/baked foil bags (like you’re on a camping trip!)
- Homemade or store bought chicken nuggets
*Try these super fun family dinners to make it even more confusing!
Side dishes for your main dishes
- Baked potato or sweet potato
- Cookies (whole grain or alternative flour)
- Sauteed spinach (we love it with raisins and walnuts)
- Zucchini or squash noodles
- Any roasted vegetables
- Braised zucchini and courgettes
List of dishes for dinner free to print
I keep this list handy for meal planning sessions! Put it in your recipe folder or use This free printable will help you plan your weekly meals.
But wait, what about dessert?
Don’t we all love something sweet after dinner? Try one of these healthy or not-so-healthy options at your next meal!
- Pudding (try avocado pudding)
- Watermelon (perfect summer dessert!)
- Fruits in chocolate
- Ice cream (or banana ice cream)
- Dole whit (pineapple and coconut milk)
- Pie (fruit, pumpkin, walnut, lime, chocolate, etc.)
See these ideas for a healthy holiday for more!
Looking for the fastest ideas?
I know you are busy! If you want to halve your cooking time, these are the best weekday dinners because they require the least prep work:
- Sausage, bell pepper and onion casserole
- carrot soup
- Stir fry or hash
- Breakfast for dinner
View 15 more quick and easy dinners on weekdays here >>
Mom’s Survival Tip: The weekly alternation of meals has made life 1000 times easier! Hello Taco Tuesday 🙂
For consideration with dinner list
Finally, cooking provides a new opportunity to find dishes that your family loves. So, don’t be shy! Go to the kitchen and mix your dishes. Also, try new, healthier options and see what they say.
Now it’s time to start planning!
Who knows? Perhaps you will find your favorite dishes for years to come!
How are you is yours dinner list? I would love to know and add it to this giant dinner list!